What Attorneys tell their clients at the first meeting
Once an accident Attorney has decided to meet with you, he or she will typically advise you as follows in preparation for your first meeting:
- See a doctor if you have not yet seen one and you are in pain or having physical difficulties and if you have not yet seen one. It’s best that you see a doctor of your own choice and do not expect the Attorney to refer you to one.
- Ask your doctor about staying out of work temporarily if working at your job causes difficulties, substantial discomfort or pain. If you have been told by the doctor that the decision to work is up to you, you should not work if working causes pain or substantial discomfort.
- Obtain pictures of the subject automobile, place of Injury if it is a premises liability case, or item that caused the Injury if it is a product liability case. You should have those pictures developed immediately.
- If your automobile has been damaged, have the damage appraised as soon as possible after the photos have been taken.
- When you come for your appointment, bring in the names, addresses, and telephone numbers of any witnesses to the incident. This is very important.
- Do not discuss the case with witnesses other than to obtain their names, addresses, and telephone numbers.
- Do not discuss the case in detail with anyone and do not give statements to anyone from an insurance company.
- If you have been contacted by an insurance company, obtain the name of the adjuster and the telephone number. Inform the adjuster you will be consulting with an Attorney and that your Attorney will be in touch with the insurance adjuster.
- Bring in any documents relating to the case such as medical bills, doctor’s instructions, prescriptions, and accident reports filed with the Secretary of State.
- Obtain the police report if possible and bring it to the first meeting.
- Do not postpone your first appointment with the Attorney unless circumstances absolutely require postponement. Time is of the essence.
- If any questions arise before the first appointment, do not hesitate to call with them.
- Your primary duty at this time is to make yourself comfortable and to pursue recovery of your injuries. The legal details are for the Attorney, not you, to worry about. Your physical recovery is of the utmost importance.