Frequently Asked Questions About Dog Bite Cases

An experienced Pasadena Dog Bite Attorney can answer some frequently asked questions about dog bite cases.

What Should I Do If I’m the Victim of a Dog Bite?

Pasadena dog bite AttorneyFirst and foremost, you should seek immediate medical attention. In addition to treating you for your injuries, the doctor will probably want to confirm that you weren’t exposed to rabies. The dog owner may need to provide proof of that. Follow your doctor’s treatment plan, keep follow up appointments and consult with a specialist (plastic surgeon, etc.) if your doctor advises.

Who is Responsible for Compensating Me For My Injuries?

Generally, the dog owner is responsible. Pet owners must act reasonably to ensure their pets don’t injure someone else. This duty of reasonableness might include leashing the dog, fencing the dog or otherwise restraining it when other people are around.

This duty to keep the dog from biting others is not absolute. If the victim did anything to provoke the dog, trespassed on the property, or was committing a crime at the time of the bite, this could relieve the pet owner from liability.

What if the Dog Owner Was a Friend or Family Member?

While you may have reservations about seeking compensation from friends or family, in most cases, the claim is filed under the pet owner’s homeowner’s insurance policy. Compensation benefits don’t necessarily come out of the pet owner’s pocket.

What Types of Damages Can I Ask For After a Dog Bite?

Like other personal injury claims, monetary damages are designed to make the victim whole as opposed to punishing the wrongdoer. As such, typical claims include lost wages, medical bills or replacement services (such as housekeeping or any other service you had to hire someone to do for you). You should speak to an attorney for more help.

At The Paul S. Norris Law Firm, you can set up a consultation with a knowledgeable Pasadena Dog Bite Lawyer who can review your case and advise you on what to do about it. Call (626) 993-4415 to make an appointment.