Seek Damages with a Pasadena Auto Accident Attorney
According to information gathered by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, approximately 35,000 people in the United States are killed in motor vehicle accidents each year. Many times, these accidents were due to someone’s careless act or negligence. Numerous accident victims have chosen a Pasadena auto accident attorney at the Paul S. Norris Law Firm to represent their legal interests as victims. If you suffered a serious injury or lost a loved one in a car accident in California, Paul S. Norris can help you receive the financial compensation you and your family deserve.
Your Pasadena Auto Accident Attorney Discusses How Fault for Causing an Auto Accident is Determined
In California, courts determine fault for causing auto accidents based on the law of negligence. Factors used to determine negligent or careless driving include:
- Driving above or below the posted speed limit
- Failure to signal before turning
- Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs
- Disregarding traffic or weather conditions
- Failure to drive on the right side of the road
- Disobeying traffic signals or traffic signs
What Damages are Recoverable in a Pasadena Auto Accident Case?
Someone who negligently operated a motor vehicle may be liable for a variety of damages that can flow from an auto accident including, but not limited to, the following:
- Cost of medical treatment: You may recover the medical expenses needed to treat your injuries and the cost of anticipated future medical expenses, if necessary.
- Property damage: You can recover the value of your property damaged in the accident.
- Pain and suffering, mental/emotional distress, and disability: You may recover damages for the following: physical pain, discomfort and disfigurement, any type of mental or emotional distress or trauma you suffered due to the accident, or the inability to work or participate in recreational activities.
- Loss of earnings and earnings capacity: You can recover monetary damages for the wages you would have earned from the time of your injury until the settlement or judgment of your case. You can recover damages for lost earning capacity if injuries from the accident impair your ability to earn wages or income.
- Loss of consortium: Your spouse or partner may recover damages for the loss of the benefits of married or domestic partnered life due to your injury.
- Other economic and out of pocket expenses: You may recover damages for other economic harm and out of pocket expenses resulting from the auto accident.